DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

User comments btil June 2003

Ng Tze Meng

AG and GMBH are shorted pefixes for German comanpies. Foe ex&le, the original company which made Leica cameras was 'Leitz Wetzlar GMBH'. The name of the company which makes Leica cameras today is called 'Leica AG'. The GMBH is the same as PtyY Ltd in Australia, or LTD in Britain, or Pte Ltd in Singapore. That is to say 'AG' and 'GMBH' have nothing to do with the different models of camera. A German subscriber will be able to tell you the full English meaning for AG and GMBH. I've forgotten and I can't find my German dictonary.

Hope this helps

GMBH = die geschlossene Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung
AG = Aktiengesellschaft.
AG has shares on the market, GmbH hasn't (I think this is the difference).

Despite this difference the Minilux is (still) a great camera.
Giap Tan

Thanks to Craig and Kian Giap. Am I right to say that the minilux with GMBH inscribed on the camera are the earlier version of the AG? But I thought that the minilux are made be Panasonic in Japan?

Hi Ng Tze Meng

I don't known a great deal about the current Minilux. It is a good bet that if the camera is inscribed with Leica GMBH, that it was made in the Leitz days, some years back now. From the number on it you should be able to find its exact age.

Here is a general over view which may be helpful.

From memory the Minilux camera was made in Japan. Leica have had several partnerships with Jananese companies over the years. Starting with Minolta in the 1970s. Although the cameras are not directly made by Leica the lenses are Leica designed and made, I beleive. Also virtually the same cameras are also marketed by their Japanese partners and are sold for a lot less.

I should get one for my camera bag. They are great for getting a quick shot in when you need. From reports the optics perform very well. Better than your usual P&S.

Others will be better informed on the details and can correct any wrong information here.

craig

> > From memory the Minilux camera was made in Japan. Leica have had > several partnerships with Jananese companies over the years. Starting > with Minolta in the 1970s. Although the cameras are not directly made > by Leica the lenses are Leica designed and made, I beleive. Also > virtually the same cameras are also marketed by their Japanese > partners and are sold for a lot less.

No, I believe that the Minilux is made in Germany, at least partially. I have never seen another camera like the Minilux, it is quite unique among point and shoot cameras. Anyway, Japanese or German, unique or rebadged, it is one heck of a great camera! The lens is incredible, focus (active AF) is fast and precise, and the exposure is incredibly accurate - perfect for slide films. With its aperture-priority mode, the camera is like a mini-M7 with a 40mm f2.4 lens - OK, it is AF and a bit noisier than an M7, but... ;-)

I don't know about the zoom version, my experience is strictly with the fixed focal length version.

At current used prices, the Minilux is a good deal. New they were pretty steep, but not out of line with others in the 'posh' class of high-end point and shoot wonders.

Cheers! - marc

The words GmbH and AG only refer to the legal status of the company. The Leica AG company is listed on the German stock exchange, Leica GmbH was not.
When Leica decided to go public and was listed on the exchange, the status en thus name of the company changed into Leica AG.
The Minilux was introduced around 1995 when the company was still a GmbH. Some time after that, I don't know the excact year, it changed into AG and since then the name on all Leica products changed into Leica AG.

The Minilux is indeed made by Panasonic in close collaboration with leica. The body is a German design, the lens is developed by Leica, the electronics made by Panasonic. I've read the actual lens manufacturing takes place at the Japanese Hoya factory. Judging by the results and general comments, they are doing a good job.
The Minilux is now a good eight years old and judging by the user's comments and wish lists it's time for a Minilux II...

Hi All,

I'm a beginner/intermediate and bought a used Minilux Zoom just yesterday. I wanted some high quality optics in a compact camera that I could carry with me to shoot those moments that you see in daily life that you just don't want to miss. Carrying an SLR everywhere would just be too much of a pain.

I'm finding though that the camera is shooting a few extra shots per roll. For ex&le on a 24 shot film, the Minilux will shoot 26 or 27 frames. Is this normal and is this going to be a problem?

Thanks in advance,

Pete

> Yes it's normal, no problems at all, just savings in film! The minilux and minilux zoom both undoubtedly have great lenses; beware longevity is probably not the same as Leica M or R, but enjoy your camera.

I also own a Minilux Zoom and I'm happy with it. As for the roll problem: On a 36 shot film, Minilux Zoom will shoot 38 shots, but in the last frame only the half! So I do the rewind after the 37th shot.

Renel

I intend to buy a good quality P&S camera for my wife. Candidates include Minilux, Cantax T3 and Rollei AFM 35. She is a casual user but she wants her pictures really sharp. Any advice?

K C

Back