DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Which Contax System suits best to your needs

One more Q, if I may..I need a light, 2nd body for the 18 and 28 lenses, manual focus. The Aria is the lightest, but for an extra one third of a kilo penalty, I can get an RX.. So my question is, would the so-called badly d&ed mirror affect the photos so much that I would need to carry the penalty weight of the RX. The teles have the AX. The lighter the better, but not at a compromise..

Posted by Thomas Turk (Thomast) on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 4:53 pm:

One more Q, if I may..I need a light, 2nd body for the 18 and 28 lenses, manual focus. The Aria is the lightest, but for an extra one third of a kilo penalty, I can get an RX.. So my question is, would the so-called badly d&ed mirror affect the photos so much that I would need to carry the penalty weight of the RX. The teles have the AX. The lighter the better, but not at a compromise..

Hi Thomas,

I'm using an old Yashica FR for those occasions. VERY good build quality !!! Much better d&ed than Yashica FX-3 (I had 3 different ones incl. the 2000-version). Much better viewfinder and operation. Just a (cheap) thought.... ;-) Paul

Hi photofriends

I just rediscovered the best Contax equipment for me.
On a trip to Thailand I brought an Aria, 18/4, 28/2,8, 80-200/4 and TLA200 and this combination covered every possible photosituation. I just bought the Aria one month before leaving and compared to my 167mt (same in 10 yrs), the Aria is far superior in every way but nightmetering.

I also brought the book 'Tha Tao of Photography' by Tom Ang and reading his eastern inspired advices in a buddist country seemed to give me a more open mind to the subjects, they kind of came to me, rather than I 'envented' them.
I brought home 27 rolls Sensia/Velvia and I don't think I've ever had this kind of hit rate.
I have scanned 160 of the 900 pictures on my Nikon Coolscan LS-40, and if you like you can take the trip with me on http://www.photos4u.dk/p4u/fthai.htm
As far as my digital considerations I have put them very low on my wishlist. Aria/Zeiss/Fuji/a good projector and a screen, that's eyecandy.

Regards

Ole

ps. feel free to give me feedback

Ole, I think you would make beautiful photographs no matter what camera you had with you. That it was Contax is nice.

Hi there,
Ole,
May I be yet another in a long line of viewers to congratulate you on your photographic skills. I love your composition, your sense of colour and of course the sensitivity in your work.
Long Live Light and Zeiss!
Regards and God Bless you,
Paul Matthews

Ole, your photos are wonderful; you're certainly putting your gear to good use. It will take me a while to peruse them all.

(And let me say what a pleasure it is to be able to see all the thumbnails on a single page, as compared to a series of pages.)

Best regards,

--Rick

Ole,
I've been on your site a few times, and always find it most enjoyable. The pictures are of a very high standard - not many of mine would be capable of standing up against them.

Do you get on with the 25? I see you don't have many from that lens on your site, yet many more from the 28.

Best,
David.

Everybody,
Thanks for the nice words.

David...
I have had 2 different 25/2.8 lenses, but neither could, IMHO, compete with the 28/2.8 in clarity and color rendition. I dont know if I've been out of luck with the ones I got, but they were not as open in the images as my 28. And with the 18mm as an alternative I also consider the widearea covered best with 18+28.

Thanks again.

Ole

Bravo Ole. The photos are beautiful.

Your wonderful pictures transported me from a miserable, gray, cold place to warm, colorful locations. The photos clearly demonstrate your skill and your passion for photography.

Thanks,
Diane

Hi all. I have a question. I am planning on going on some form of trip to pretty rugged country. Potentiall hundreds of miles from any form of modern civilisation (that is, away from electricity, courier postal service, etc). I am planning on taking photos, probably my main goal. I have invested a lot in Contax gear and want to continue to use it. Can anyone give suggestions as to the applicability of the contax system for harsh conditions. There may be sand (i.e., dessert) and maybe rain and maybe snow/ice. I am only planning on taking two lenses, as 25/28 and a 45/50. My initial thoughts were on the 28/45 combo. My concern is how realiable are the bodies and how well do they stand up to harsh conditions. Will probably take two bodies to remove the need to change lenses. Anyway, any thoughts or comments are most welcomed. Thanks, David.

Back