DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Fun with MFT/ M43

There's much more general problem where 90% of those responding to a question about gear neither own, nor use the gear in question. And very few actually address the original question.
That sounds like the description of many a forum I remember from my past 25 years of internet experience. For some reason the digital layer of insulation and relative anonymity turns certain people into self-proclaimed experts. But this forum seems to not have been infected by this, and I hope it remains that way.

Obviously I haven't been here lately, but I do check here at least every few days. Found this thread, so just would like to check in as a Panasonic G9 owner and at some point to be a refugee from dpreview.

I enjoy my Panasonic G95 and GX85. YouTube seems to be finding favor with MFT again acting as though they are reviving a dying breed. My hobby never has led me to the full frame wonderland.
P1015954.jpeg
  • Panasonic - DC-G95
  • 140.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/1000 sec
  • Center-Weighted Average
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 640

I posted several times on DPR a few years ago when I picked up an E-PM1 with both kit lenses. Many there were very helpful walking me through the very complex menu settings. But as most were upgrading I felt that I really didn't have anything to add to the forums. These days I rarely shoot the camera as I find it's just not very ergonomical and I'm planning to trade it for a newer model. Perhaps then I'll ask again for menu advice and maybe post a photo or two.

These days I rarely shoot the camera as I find it's just not very ergonomical and I'm planning to trade it for a newer model.

Which model are you interested in?

I felt that I really didn't have anything to add to the forums

You do. Just do the same. Tell others about your experience with your cameras and show your images. :daumenhoch-smilie:

My hobby never has led me to the full frame wonderland.

There is no wonderland, no matter which system you are using. I use 4 different systems. From MFT over Fuji to Nikon Z and L-Mount plus my loved Ricoh GRIII and GRIIIx. Each system has advantages and disadvantages. The key is to find out which compromise is the best for your personal needs. No matter what your neighbor might find better :cool:

Which model are you interested in?
I'm leaning towards the E-M1. I think the larger grip would help me using longer lenses. Also the dials and articulating screen is a HUGE plus.

You do. Just do the same. Tell others about your experience with your cameras and show your images. :daumenhoch-smilie:
I'm sure most m4/3 people already know this but the E-PM1 (and E-PM2) bodies are thin, have a very smooth texture and no grip. This makes it hard to use. Yes, I know that there are/were a couple companies that make stick-on grips. They might help a little but the rest of the body is too smooth. Also, almost everything has to be set in the menu because there are no dials. And the EVF is an accessory and I don't think it can be used with the (also accessory) flash.

This is from the last time I had the camera out...
P6190391.JPG
  • OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP. - E-PM1
  • 21.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/320 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 200

Back