DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Leica RDigital Back

Dear Simon

Sorry not sure what you mean. I think there must be some confusion.

I said, “The 10MP Leica APS chip mooted here has awesome specs. On the surface, it should compete [in respect to the image quality produced] very well with Canon's much-vaunted [11MP 24 x 36mm CMOS] 1Dsâ€

If only I were so well connected that I had seen some preliminary results produced by the rumoured Leica chip. My comments are based on Dirk's earlier comment that the “R9 sensor back†will be a 10MP APS. That's pretty impressive compared to some other brands out there now.

On a completely different subject relating to my scepticism of the reputed benefits of Leica lenses with regard to enhancing digital image quality.

I was shown two sets of exhibition prints of the same subject made with Canon EOS D-60 6.3 MP CMOS cameras. One said to be fitted with L series glass, and the other said to be fitted with an unidentified Leica lens via Canon mount adaptor. Despite claims by the artist (user of the all Canon set up) that the Leica optics produced a higher quality result, I personally wasn’t able to differentiate between the two sets of prints.

If my scepticism, in this regard, is shown to be ill founded then I shall be best pleased, as all my lenses are made by Leica and high quality digital capture would expand my image making capabilities.

I hope this clears up any misunderstanding.

We live in exciting times, photographers haven’t had so many choices since the 1880s.

Regards Craig

[Is there a web page that has details of the 10MP Leica APS chip mooted here has awesome specs or is this just news group rumour, if it's the latter lets add leica using the foveon 10x3 chip which gives 30mp ;-P.]

Good old fashioned "news group" rumour I'm afraid Danny.

Dirk, said "It shall be available in 2004. 10MB Chip." Somewhere in here also is the information that the Leica R lens mount can only accommodate a sensor with a 35mm focal length conversion factor of 1.4. That's the whole story so far and I recon that's all we are going to know until launch.

So sit back relax and see what pops up in 2004.

craig

Danny

Work 5 jobs and save hard. But we probably won't see any thing till 2007.

craig

[2007 sounds optimistic, maybe conon or nikon will improve earlier

Well, I will wager some of my hard earned cash that in the digital arena us folks will be hard pressed to tell a Lecia image from a Canon or Nikon or anything else image.

I would also wager that whatever chip Leica brings to the fore, the chip manufacturing capability of Canon and their digital leadership will be brought to bear to ensure that the R8 digital camera attains little or no market leadership, other than attracting existing R users into digital.

I do love my Leica cameras and lenses but I think I see Canon digital in my future somewhere.

Simon

[For me the point there is a lack of faith in leica being able to deliver something better than canon or Nikon, despite the genuine quality of their current m and r range of products. Who knows what will come out of these rumours ? May Leica can provide some guidiance.]

I didn't say I would give up my M, just that in the digital arena I would probably go a different route. I really hope Leica bring out a storming digital offering and also that they don't charge stupid prices for it. For those with a good deal invested in R lenses then it would make sense.

However, my main investment is in Leica M kit so I can look at this differently. Given that Canon design and manufacture their own sensors, and the leadership in the digital arena already established, if I was going to spend money on digital equipment it would be in that direction. It would certainly be cheaper than buting an R9, a digital back and R lenses - that would be MAJOR investment and too much for my pocket.

I hope Leica get it right and do not go the way of Contax with the N Digital.

Simon

Back