DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Let's be careful here

Can you not download them yourself just by clicking on each?
I have about 2400 images.... And I have been trying to download the ones I really want, but the way the site is working now, the site goes into a "429" error, and shuts down to even refreshing, after downloading even a single photo, or even flipping through my gallery images. So, I only have managed to get about 10 of them over the past few days.

You see, you behave as predicted.
Dirk, the way you responded to his post…and I see nothing wrong with his post…elicited the reaction. If you slap someone and they yell ouch…you telling him you knew he’d yell ouch like it’s some kind of gotcha moment isn’t what you think it is. Teldoph is a good guy. If this is how you want to treat members, I too can respond. Please close my account and delete the content. Thanks.

This guy in the above thread was the worst refugee that I've seen coming over to a new forum and demanding that it change formats to be just like DPReview. Not only was his thread on RFF closed, then deleted, after it was deleted- one of the Moderators went in and edited his comments- they were that insulting.

Maybe DPReview will stay open. Other forums have been created to accommodate the best of DPReview. Many have picked up some very good members with great contributions. Others have come in and demanded that the forum change so they can march in with a group. And, like the guy above- not going to happen with established forums.

IF DPReview closes, members will have to get used to the culture of the forums they join, not demand the forum do things like the one that just failed.

I've used the Internet since 1980. So little has changed.

You see, you behave as predicted.
Dirk,
That was unfair. It was just unfair. Especially from the person in highest authority.

I don't know much about Teldoph, but you criticized him, almost humiliating him, calling him a trouble-maker and he responded as almost anyone would with, with surprise and anger. Then you used that normal response to "prove" your point. You set him up. You alluded to something he said that angered you in another thread. An issue that is not visible here. Bringing issues across threads is generally labeled as "targeting" on most sites and is specifically forbidden..

First guy: "You know what your problem is? You're paranoid."
Second guy: "What!? That's A lie!"
First guy: "See? I was right!"

The kind of response you gave him should have been in private, since there is no one here to moderate you and sets a terrible tone for a site where reasonably-expressed opinions are supposed to be welcome.

Rich

I followed the link to the thread that started the exchange, in Tedolph's introduction. I also looked up activity of the self-proclaimed "King of Trolls" on DPReview.

This seemed reasonable to me:

In most cases it is common sense and netiquette. Use your own judgement.

Treat others like you want to be treated. Do not troll, provoque or be unpolite to others. Do not harm others or encourage others to do so. etc. pp.

ToU are written from lawyers. They keep the words as broad and general as possible.
Most forums reserve the right to edit or delete content as required. A member that wants all of the rules enumerated because they "Strictly follow the Rules" and object to a Moderator taking some action that is outside of them- not a good idea. DPReview advertises "Rule #1: Be nice. That’s it — there is no rule #2.". The reality is far from this at DPReview. Worse case I've ever seen: a forum member threatening the life of the Administrator and his family for shutting down a political conspiracy thread. Makes you wonder why anyone would be crazy enough to run an Internet website.

@The Davinator @Rich42

as a general rule we do not discus moderator decisions in public.

But I can assure you, that we think a long time, before we decide on something. We do not make a decision in an emotional effect or in a bad mood.

You only see, what you can see on the surface or what others might tell you. But there might be more what led to this decision.

@The Davinator @Rich42

as a general rule we do not discus moderator decisions in public.

But I can assure you, that we think a long time, before we decide on something. We do not make a decision in an emotional effect or in a bad mood.

You only see, what you can see on the surface or what others might tell you. But there might be more what led to this decision.
Dirk,

Thanks for that explanation, but what moderator decision? No one mentioned a moderator decision. All I could see was your admonishment at Teldoph that he was continuing some point from a previous discussion somewhere that irritated you.

But you did carry out the process in public. You, yourself exposed whatever was going on between the two of you. And that removes the privacy cloak you claim as moderator. And it looked like anger and retaliation from this viewpoint.

That makes me concerned it could happen to me, (or others) if I simply express an opinion a moderator doesn't happen to agree with or like.

Did Teldoph have a reputation for being argumentative previously on another site? Shouldn't everyone start here with a clean slate? And be given the benefit of the doubt? He certainly has only a short posting history here.

Rich

Dirk,

Did Teldoph have a reputation for being argumentative previously on another site? Shouldn't everyone start here with a clean slate? And be given the benefit of the doubt? He certainly has only a short posting history here.

Rich
Tedolph is a person that came in with a chip on their shoulder, daring anyone to knock it off. After reading it- "same old DPReview Troll coming over here". Dared to knock a chip off the shoulder, and someone did.
I read this on Tedolph's Introduction, his first post:
Admiral Tedolph here, landing in his Strato-Cruiser after escaping the wrath of the DPR Moderators.

Tedolph is pleased to report that he went out with a bang, receiving a permanent, eternal and life long ban from one of the DPR m4/3 forum Moderators.

Get ready for a wild ride!

Tedolph, Admiral

Tedolph Undersea Command
Anyway- just my opinion. I've dealt with Internet trolls for over 40 years. It is tiring. Originally- held to Email, then bulletin boards, then forums. Wahoo.

@Rich42

again, we do not discus this in public.

We can split hairs now for months, but it will not change anything about it.

You have to trust my experience in moderating and running forums for 20 years. I know exactly when I see a specific pattern of a user's behaviour. I do not need 1000 postings for that.

There is no reason to be afraid of something or someone in our forum. ;)

Relax and enjoy the forum. :z04-bier01:

Back