DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

News Nanny bot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry but I disagree and everybody who reads these postings will see that there is the fear that someone makes a positive posting about us.
What do you disagree with, that it's human nature to get partisan? It seems to happen a lot if it isn't human nature. I'm not sure I understand what you mean about a 'fear'. People are posting good and bad about all the sites, as they should if that's what they believe. Are you proposing that people shouldn't be posting about what they find on the various sites and discussing it with others, or what?
You know exactly what I mean and what and why it is happening, so please stop playing the naive guy.
On the contrary, I have no idea what you mean. Enough with the innuendo. If you have something to say, and believe that you and this site have been treated wrongly, just say it.
This is not a thread to talk about your site, therefore please stop trying to change the subject into this.
I haven't mentioned any other site. I've only responded to what you said. Is that not how conversations work?

A 'difference' would be between two things, Tom. So, a subtle difference between what and what?
Bob,

I don't think we need a discussion to extract the finite detail. You are a very clever man and I am sure that you know exactly what I mean but as you have challenged me to explain I will try to do this in a non-partisan unregulated manner that is not bad mouthing.

Yes people get partisan, it is normal for people to assert what they believe in even if others don't agree with them. But it can be done in a polite, restrained manner without aggression.

Any private forum is a private forum that sets its own rules and of course they all regulated by their administration and can fully enforce these rules of conduct. They may however choose to enforce them in a lax manner. But risk the forum descending into chaos by those that like to disrupt or choose to argue over what exact nail type is necessary to nail a plank to a wall. Therefore a forum that is well moderated can indeed be a good place to participate in if it has fair rules and they are administered with goodwill and good humour. To say that a forum should not be regulated is not true. To say that responsible posts within the rules should be censored is quite another thing.

Posting about experiences is fine but should be in a polite responsible manner. "Bad Mouthing" as you call it is pretty obvious and usually defined as a personal ad hominem attack and not about ones own experiences.

These are my subtle differences which I thought might have been very plain to you and I don't think that we need to refine this any further to the nth degree of a precision argument as you might otherwise wish to do.

@bobn2

I think we should leave it at that. It does not make sense to continue this discussion with you. It will be only more oil into the fire.

We do want to enjoy our forum here. Without heat, without emotional fights.

For most users, photography is only a hobby. We want to have fun with our hobby. That is our forum about. We enjoy our hobby in a friendly atmosphere.

@bobn2

I think we should leave it at that. It does not make sense to continue this discussion with you. It will be only more oil into the fire.

For most users, photography is only a hobby. We want to have fun with our hobby. That is our forum about. We enjoy our hobby in a friendly atmosphere.
Agree

I have it officially from the dpreview horses mouth that the Nanny Bot has been fixed and will no longer put up rude messages if dprforum.com is mentioned on their site.

I had thought (unofficially) that this was the case as it was allowing me to gently mention it on the forum since not long after I first complained.

It appears that dpreview acted promptly when I first mentioned it.

@bobn2

I don't see how it would be more oil on the fire if you are simply straight forward about your accusations, rather than all this implied stuff. I would casting general aspersions without backing them up is exactly 'bad-mouthing', but maybe we have different standards.

Bob,

I don't think we need a discussion to extract the finite detail. You are a very clever man and I am sure that you know exactly what I mean but as you have challenged me to explain I will try to do this in a non-partisan unregulated manner that is not bad mouthing.

Yes people get partisan, it is normal for people to assert what they believe in even if others don't agree with them. But it can be done in a polite, restrained manner without aggression.

Any private forum is a private forum that sets its own rules and of course they all regulated by their administration and can fully enforce these rules of conduct. They may however choose to enforce them in a lax manner. But risk the forum descending into chaos by those that like to disrupt or choose to argue over what exact nail type is necessary to nail a plank to a wall. Therefore a forum that is well moderated can indeed be a good place to participate in if it has fair rules and they are administered with goodwill and good humour. To say that a forum should not be regulated is not true. To say that responsible posts within the rules should be censored is quite another thing.

Posting about experiences is fine but should be in a polite responsible manner. "Bad Mouthing" as you call it is pretty obvious and usually defined as a personal ad hominem attack and not about ones own experiences.

These are my subtle differences which I thought might have been very plain to you and I don't think that we need to refine this any further to the nth degree of a precision argument as you might otherwise wish to do.
Nice philosophical piece there, Tom. Doesn't seem to have any relevance to the discussion at hand, but there we go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back