DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

New Project 52 for 2024

Ahhhhhh yes, makes sense! You're basically shooting @ 1/FL -- which is usually fine. Plus stabilization (VC). For example, when I use my 20mm (a lot... a NON-VR lens) I can often go down to 1/8 or 1/4 without any problem (I am fairly steady). Not always, but often. I think I've even shot at 1/2 or maybe even 1 sec with good success (taking a big breath and relaxing). And I am a pixel-peeper (LOL) so I will indeed look to see if the image is sharp at those slow hand-held shutter speeds.

Libraries and churches... we (DSLR people) can turn-off the "focus beep" -- but there will still be a shutter sound. The mirrorless and phone people... they can go totally silent if they choose to do so. The funny thing is... I like having a "shutter sound" when using my phone -- to tell me the picture was taken. :cool: LOL.

Ahhhhhh yes, makes sense! You're basically shooting @ 1/FL -- which is usually fine. Plus stabilization (VC). For example, when I use my 20mm (a lot... a NON-VR lens) I can often go down to 1/8 or 1/4 without any problem (I am fairly steady). Not always, but often. I think I've even shot at 1/2 or maybe even 1 sec with good success (taking a big breath and relaxing). And I am a pixel-peeper (LOL) so I will indeed look to see if the image is sharp at those slow hand-held shutter speeds.
I use the aperture priority mode (A mode) with AUTO ISO, in the version where the exposure time must be lower than or equal to 1/FL. The camera tries to stay at this limit, to get as much light as possible on its photon-hungry sensor.

Libraries and churches... we (DSLR people) can turn-off the "focus beep" -- but there will still be a shutter sound. The mirrorless and phone people... they can go totally silent if they choose to do so. The funny thing is... I like having a "shutter sound" when using my phone -- to tell me the picture was taken. :cool: LOL.
I agree with you. The sound of a DSLR mirror going up is reassuring.

20/52: I was not prepared or set-up for an aurora shot. I was working in my office late at night and a family member sent a text message... asking if I had taken a picture (they were outside looking at the sky... and sent an image from their phone attached to the text message). I told them I had forgotten about it! So, I grabbed the camera and the tripod and went outside in the back yard. I could see that there was a "mist" of sorts hanging high in the sky. Like a light fog. But couldn't really see any distinguishable tones. I put the camera on the tripod, dialed in some intuitive settings, and took a quick shot. Checked the rear LCD.... voila! Some pink and green colors! Not very bright, but the colors were there. Interesting. I suppose a timed exposure allows more of the color/light to get "baked-in" (versus what our eyes see instantaneously in real time) -- just my guess? In the higher latitudes, it is likely much more evident with the naked eye (which of course is why it is a big deal). It was late and I was tired, so this is the only shot I took. Figured it was good enough. I had to push this fairly hard in post to make anything out of it...

northern-lights.jpg
  • NIKON CORPORATION - NIKON D810
  • Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 20mm f/1.8G ED
  • 20.0 mm
  • ƒ/3.2
  • 5 sec
  • Center-Weighted Average
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 800

21/52

The Cliff of the Confessionals is located between Luc-sur-Mer and Lion-sur-Mer, in the Calvados region.

850_0729.jpg
  • NIKON CORPORATION - NIKON D850
  • Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD (Nikon F)
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/320 sec
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 80

I like the inside-out perspective and the person walking on the beach sets the scale. Do you often make the trip from Paris to Normandy? I looked at the map (Luc-sur-Mer, Sword Beach) and I can see "Falaise des Confessionnaux" -- so I'm assuming that's it! 250 km via the A13. I also like going out to the coast here (Ocean Shores or Westport) and it is about the same distance. Years ago, we owned property at the beach and would go there once or twice a month. We sold the property in 2018.. I need to go back for a visit... because "the ocean" is a place where you can easily connect with nature and think about the big picture!

I like the inside-out perspective and the person walking on the beach sets the scale. Do you often make the trip from Paris to Normandy? I looked at the map (Luc-sur-Mer, Sword Beach) and I can see "Falaise des Confessionnaux" -- so I'm assuming that's it! 250 km via the A13. I also like going out to the coast here (Ocean Shores or Westport) and it is about the same distance. Years ago, we owned property at the beach and would go there once or twice a month. We sold the property in 2018.. I need to go back for a visit... because "the ocean" is a place where you can easily connect with nature and think about the big picture!
Yes, it is at the Falaise des Confessionnaux! I have family in the area, so I go to Normandy several times a year (and love it), but I didn't know about this cliff until very recently. From June 6, there will be a moving celebration of the 80th anniversary of the Allied landing in Normandy. Allied flags are alreay all over the place.

Week 22 : Introspection

850_1310 1.jpg
  • NIKON CORPORATION - NIKON D850
  • 150-600 mm f/5.0-6.3
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/1250 sec
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 140

Back