DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Review Contax Aria

I haven't tried it.
BTW, this is what the Aria-manual says:
"About infrared film:
Please note that this camera is not designed to operate with infrared film."
No further explanation is given.

Good luck, Sonny

Hi All,

I own a G2 and would like to purchase an SLR for purely macro and telephoto work. The lenses I have in mind are the Makro-Planar 100/2.8 and the Sonnar 135/2.8. Do you think the Aria would do justice to these lenses.

Stuart

Sure, no problem. But do take into your consideration that both these lenses are relatively heavy - which might cause some form of balancing inconvenience in practical use since the Aria is rather lightweight.

Regards, Jakob

Thanks Jacob,

That was probably my only concern. Will a tripod compensate for the differences in weight? I intend to use a tripod on almost all shots with those lenses.

Regards,

Stuart

Hi Stuart
I have the 159mm, which is almost same size as the aria, and uses both 80-200 and an 350mm tamron mirror-lens with it.
I dont think its to small or the balance is off. You'll use your focushand like a base, instead of the grip on the body.

Ole
http://www.photos4u.dk

You won't have a problem. I use two Aria bodies with lenses from 28 f2.8 to 200 f3.5, including the 135 f2.8, frequently on a tripod, with no difficulties at all.

Stuart,
for macro work get the rts2 instead; it has mirror lock-up, sturdier build, and won't cost more in good condition than the Aria. Mirror lock is useful since in macro you have to use long exposures where vibration might otherwise be a problem, and also it;s quieter so you won't chase those butterflies away.

Nick.

Stuart! I second Nick in every aspect. Mirror lock-up is very useful with macro work. You can use the S2 with mirror lockup, too. You will find all features of any Contax SLR-model ever (also Nikon and Canon...) in a very useful homepage: www.photozone.de Martin

Not long ago I acquired a P-5 battery holder for the 167MT. My new(ish) 167MT arrived this morning, but unfortunately the P5 won't power the camera (which works), and the batteries are fresh. I can't see any obvious corrosion inside, and I wonder if anyone has any suggestions about how to go about getting it working again.

Alex

> I use to have the web-site for photographs made with Contax cameras. I totally enjoyed the web-site. My computer died on the vine. The web-site was something like contaxch.com. Can anyone give me some help in finding the site again. Thanks for any help. John Kohl

Back