DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Review Contax Aria

> > I use to have the web-site for photographs made with Contax cameras.> I totally enjoyed the web-site. My computer died on the vine. The> web-site was something like contaxch.com. Can anyone give me some help> in finding the site again. Thanks for any help.

John it sounds like you are talking about Andre Oldani's Contax site - www.contax.ch I'm glad you're enjoying the pics , I have a few up there myself! ;-) Steve

Hello,

I have Aria for more than a year and have found that it is sometimes works strangely. In other words in some not very logical cases it does not return mirror after shutter release. After that camera is unuseable unless battery is taken off and digits from LCD dessapear (but not earlier).
After replacing batteries everything is OK. I had this several times. Couple times while using Metz flash with 3802 adapter. After buying tla 280, had no more problems until 85 AE lens have been bought. On the other hand, today it happend again and while changing 35 MM and 50 MM lenses. Logic of this condition narrows but is not yet sure.
Say it happens when non original devices used or/and cold/warm conditions and/or lenses changed w/o switching off.
Might be something else.

Have anyone experienced anything like this?

With best,
Sergey

Sergey,
I have no experience with the Aria, but my 167MT started doing the same last year (my post about that must be somewhere in the 167MT thread). The problem seemed to go away by changing the batteries and pressing the "reset" button (I don't know if the Aria has one). It was not related to non-original equipment, but it happened in cold weather.
Eventually I noticed the batteries where getting discharged even while the camera was off, and I had to send it in to Kyocera for repair. They fixed it.
I am sorry this does not sound promising...

Juan

Hi,

I've got the same (3 times so far) after using Aria more then 3 years with no problem,
in my case shutter will not even opens, only mirror goes up.
2 times in very hot conditions (about 40 deg.C in open sun or more) and one in normal (20C)
condition, but after a while (up to 3 weeks) without using it.
All those situations took place without flash unit.

I found on www that Aria's electronic hangs - this confirms my expireances
sad.gif

I simply live with it, but so far I've no more problems (about one year after last hung)

Regards

Adam

Sergey writes: 'it does not return mirror after shutter release. After that camera is unuseable unless battery is taken off and digits from LCD dessapear'

I have no experience with the Aria, but my Konica Hexar sometimes does the same.

Jakob

It seems an unusual problem. I have two Arias, bought when the model first appeared, and have used them extensively with no problems at all. I live in Central Texas, where it gets both hot and humid. I use a Promaster flash and my 17mm and 90mm macro lenses are Tamron Adaptalls. Also have two Tamron Adaptall zooms. No problems with compatibility. They work just like the Zeiss lenses I have ranging from 28mm to 200mm...

Question about the new Aria I purchased a few weeks ago.

The exposure counter and DX stay lit in the Display Panel even when the camera is off. Is this normal?

When the cameras is left on does it have a "power down" mode that extends battery life.?

I left the camera on a couple of times and the batteries were dead in a day or two; the drive mode was not shown in the display and the mirror locked up when I pressed the shutter release. It wasn't okay until I loaded new batteries.

Regarding Aria dea batteries.
Seems that this is a bug in Aria.
I have the same mirror lock-up, but I do always reset my Aria by pulling out batteries.

Logically thinking, If you leave Aria in this state - it will discharge...

Back