DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Review Contax Aria

Scottie,
I would repair the lens. It should be a simple adjustment, hopefully low cost as well. Why lose half a stop. Plus your camera meter will be fooled as it takes into consideration the minimum aperture when it calculate the correct exposure.

I have had my Aria for over 3 years now. It has subjected to much use and abuse. I used it in the beach often--I had sand blown inside the film compartment and had to clean it often. It is not too sand proof. I used it in extreme hot climate and it only broke down once with the winder going dead. Contax replaced the winder free of charge quickly. I love my Aria as much as my AX. But it feels nose heavy with with longer tele lens.

I researched the ideal travel kit for three months, and it's been quite a journey: OM-4, LX, R2, M, XD11, FM3A. You can probably see the pattern: manual focus, manual film advance, changeable lenses, 500± grams. Anyways, I've come full circle back to the Contax SLR. No surprise!

This is Contax Event Week in the US, with all items 10% off. So, I need to make a decision on a new Aria versus the two other Contax SLR contenders: 159MM and 139Q. The RX is most excellent and quiet but, like the RTS versions, too heavy. My planned kit is body, 28mm, 85mm, maybe flash, probably small tripod.

Please comment generally, and also give your opinion on shutter noise, weight, and handling with your favorite lens. Thanks!

>I researched the ideal travel kit for three months, and it's been quite a journey: OM-4, LX, R2, M, XD11, FM3A. You can probably see the pattern: manual focus, manual film advance, changeable lenses, 500± grams. Anyways, I've come full circle back to the Contax SLR. No surprise!

This is Contax Event Week in the US, with all items 10% off. So, I need to make a decision on a new Aria versus the two other Contax SLR contenders: 159MM and 139Q. The RX is most excellent and quiet but, like the RTS versions, too heavy. My planned kit is body, 28mm, 85mm, maybe flash, probably small tripod.

Please comment generally, and also give your opinion on shutter noise, weight, and handling with your favorite lens. Thanks!<

To some degree, comparing a new model to older cameras is like comparing apples to oranges.

I have used my 139Q since purchasing new in the mid 80's and I still love the little camera. I can't compare to the other models since I've never used them.

Obviously, if you choose an older model you are getting something that has been used. If it has been well cared for, you can expect many more years of good service. If not, it may cause you problems you don't want. Just something to keep in mind. (Mine has been well cared for but I'm not parting with it
happy.gif
) Also, there have been technological improvements made since the time of the 139/159. (brighter screens, faster shutters, improved metering, etc.)

Having said that, I think it still comes down to holding each camera and determining which features you must have. Nearly all the shots taken with my 139 are properly exposed and focused. I would like to have spot metering, auto-focus, 1/4000 sec, and so on, but I don't NEED these things.

Determine your true needs and go from that point. Honestly, I thing you'll enjoy any of the models you're considering.

Good luck,
Dave

Things I would like on the 139Q:
Spot meter
Higher shutter speed
Hand grip (FX winder corrected this)
Combined meter/shutter switch

Things I wouldn't change:
Metal construction
Small size/weight
Immediate shutter response
Simple control functions
Complete reliability

Rico,
I had a 139 some years ago and loved it but something went wrong with the flash contacts and Kyocera were unable to repair it because the parts were no longer available- and this was some years ago so probably now even fewer parts are available.
John

<<Things I would like on the 139Q:
Spot meter
Higher shutter speed
Hand grip (FX winder corrected this)
Combined meter/shutter switch

Things I wouldn't change:
Metal construction
Small size/weight
Immediate shutter response
Simple control functions
Complete reliability>>
My 2 cents worth, and as someone considering a new body as well.
The 159 is quiet, compared to an FR I that I also use. It has a nice solid body. The shutter is as fast as I ever use, and it has a faster rated flash sync than any of the newer bodies except the RTS III(1/250). You can get a winder with two releases. You can turn off the winder and still have the vertical release if you want quieter operation (I dislike having a motor drive making a lotta extra noise 5-6 feet from a pianist or guitar player).
The 159 has a bright viewfinder as compared to the FR I and FX 3. As I measured it there was a 1/2 stop difference compared to the Yashica bodies. Bright viewfinders are important to me. Or, perhaps a very "contrasty" viewfinder.
On the minus side:
It would be nice, if not imperative to have spot metering.
An LED display of shutter speed as compared to the led dot next to an unlit speed decal would be nice.
A data back which recorded exposure information would be nice.
The 159 seems to have quite a bit of vertical "jump", from the mirror I'm guessing. More than either of the Yashicas. With a tight grip the jump doesn't seem to affect sharpness, loosely held is a problem at speeds from 1/30 to 1/125 for me.
Parts may be a problem with the 159, however I haven't had any problems.
Personally, I have a hard time understanding why bodies all have integrated winders. An optional MD gives a lot more versatility, compactness and less weight if those are important to you.

I guess I'm looking for an Aria with a D-9 databack, a manual shutter cocking lever, a separate MD and a faster flash sync.
A heavier body wouldn't be a bad thing either...
Joe W

> Personally, I have a hard time understanding why bodies all have > integrated winders. An optional MD gives a lot more versatility, > compactness and less weight if those are important to you.

Hi Joe,

The Aria wouldn't be any smaller, and in fact, it may be bigger, if it had an add-on motor drive. It's a very tiny, and very awesome camera. The DataBack is awesome for it as well.

Regards,

Austin

Rico,
Good choice. The Aria is one of my most favorite cameras for travel (and I have a Lieca, G2, RX and Nikon FM3a, but still love the Aria!!).
William

Hi I have used several different cameras : The LX is very reliable, a heavy-duty worktool - even it's not that heavy = ! But you have to consider what lenses you want ! The new 1.8/77 =3F The old= er 2.0/85 (u mentioned to use a 85mm-lens) is really not that good and the= 1.4/85 really heavy (although a phantastic lens), the 1.8/85 should be a = great lens but you seldom find one... The Olympus 85 is as the mentioned Pentax 2.0/85 and Olys use much batteri= es.... (I used a OM3 but the multi-spot measuring uses much energy) So you consider about a Leica- or Zeiss-lens : The Leica-lenses may be even or better than the Zeiss-ones (nobody can rea= lly compare all lenses...) but they are much more heavy and more expensive= ! I didn't use a Leica-M but an Leica R4 and this is a nice camera-tool a= nd lenses are built very well but they are optically not that better (if t= hey are...). I compared the 2.8/90 with a Canon 2.0/100 and the Canon was = better. I compared the Zeiss Sonnar 2.8/135 with the Leica 2.8/135 and the= Sonnar was far better. The 2.8/28 Distagon is the best 28mm-lems I ever u= sed (and i used many different ones) even if I can't compare it with the n= ew Leica-28mm-lens(the older one was not that superb). I have used the Conatx 159 and it's a great camera : Very fast shutter ! (= flash-sync. 1/250 !), good view-finder, well-made, good-in-hand (has a sma= ll formed handgrip). The first 159 had electronic problems but those 150 w= hich are in use today didn't have. Besides I use different cameras with built-in-winder and they all have as = advantage : They use normal batteries instead of special phto-batteries and the mirror= /shutter is d&ed much better ! (I think that the mirror doesn't you jump= up and fall down but isguided by the motor/winder) So you can make handho= ld-shots (without tripod) with longer exposure-times ! I would go for the Contax with Zeiss-lenses !
happy.gif
Paul

The Aria is a very fine camera and is very good for travel. With the 28-70 zoom or primes such as 25,45,50,85 it is a light weight package. The 28-70 and the 25 are very good for crowd scenes such as protests or marches. The 50 1.4 great for low light situations and the 45 for extra low weight. The 85 2.8 is about as small as the 50 and great for portraits. Recently I went to the Central Park Zoo and had a great time photographing the denizens of the zoo with the 28.70, 85 and occasionally the 50mm lenses.

Back