DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Review Contax Aria

>>We can safely assume Edmond has used an Aria, given his custom hatcheting! By "pure microprism screen type", I believe he means a central microprism disk without the split-image rangefinder. Such screens are less distracting for certain kinds of work. <<

Thanks for the qualification, Rico, and we look forward to your review.

Hi Rico,

> By "pure microprism screen type", I believe he means a > central microprism disk without the split-image rangefinder. Such > screens are less distracting for certain kinds of work.

Understood, but that's really not a "pure microprism" screen...but you are probably correct in your assumption, that is what was meant.

> Screens brighter than ground glass are implementations of a fresnel > lens, and gain that brightness at the cost of focus ease.

Not entirely true. I use Hasselblad AcuteMatte and Maxwell screens in my MF cameras, and they actually increase focusing ease. You are right, some don't, but your generalization isn't entirely true.

> I received a shiny new Aria on Friday,

Congratulations! Check out the data back for the Aria. I recently got one, and LOVE it. It's basically the same as the one on the AX, which is really awesome.

I was correct in saying the metering in the Aria is done behind the focusing screen, the sensor is right above the viewfinder in fact. So changing the focusing screen will mean the accuracy of the meter is off, if the "translucence" of the new screen is different. Also, the different metering patterns (spot, average, matrix) may cause problems as well.

I still question even the use of a Canon F-1N focusing screen in the Aria for purely mechanical reasons. The Aria focusing screen is barely .1" thick. I do not know how thick the T-90 focusing screen is...but thickness of the screen IS an issue. That would mean the two screens had to be precisely the same thicness for the focusing surface of the T-90 screen to be coplaner with that of the Aria, and that would be by pure dumb luck if they were. I'll ask someone on the Canon list to measure their screen. If they are not, and are even off by a few thousandths, that would mean the focus would be off.

Regards,

Austin

Hi Edmond,

Thanks for your detailed reply!

> The important > thing is that the final result (by comparing with my second ARIA at > the same time) indicated that there is no noticeable change on EV > measurements

Wasn't one of the reasons for you changing the screen was that it was purportedly brighter? Your complaint was the viewfinder was dim. Did you replace the screen believing the T-90 screen was brighter? If it is a brighter screen, then how can your metering results be correct?

Also, did you check it in the various modes with different lenses? I believe the metering pattern of the Aria, knowing how the internals are designed as I do, is quite dependant on the screen.

> However, I cannot explain why the fresnel lens from T-90 > would not induce a focus shift.

It would only not induce a focus shift if the plane of focus were placed in exactly the same plane as the Aria screen would be...more on that below...

Do you believe the Aria screen is not a fresnel BTW?

> (c) Alignment accuracy of the screen is determined by the position of > the resting frame inside the body which was set at factory. Once a > focusing screen is placed on the resting frame, an accurate > positioning will be achieved.

Not necessarily. Two things that can effect that. Screen being too thin...that would rely on gravity keeping the position resting on the frame (easy fix I believe). Second is screen being too thick. It could push down on the retaining frame, and therefore not actually be in the correct position, and possibly skewed (not an easy fix). There, of course, is the chance that the T-90 screen is within a few thousandths of an inch of the original Aria screen, and once made to fit in the frame, won't have the focus shift problem. I have the measurements from the T-90 screen, and will measure the Aria screen this afternoon and let you know the results. I also have a link that discusses the tolerance/significance of the focusing plane with respect to focus changes I'll provide.

> Position accuracy will not be affected > by using different brand screen as the LaserMatte side would rest on > the same position as per ARIA screen.

Well, that is assuming that the screen matches the original thickness, if it's held in with the same type of mechanism the Aria uses. The Canon F series is very different, as it has a rigid frame around the screen. I've also seen screens that have a routed outer mating edge...which would make the plane of focus on these different than ones that didn't have this. I do agree in general, the the bottom of the screen for 35mm SLRs is going to be the plane of focus though, so providing there aren't other mechanical issues (size, thickness etc.), it stands a good chance of working.

> (d) Direct comparison of the brightness of viewfinders from different > body to determine the brightness of LaserMatte screen is not a > conclusive testing since different body mirrors will have different > partially reflective factors and also different prism sizes, thus > affect the final brightness of the viewfinder.

Very true.

Your experiment is a very good one, and if you are happy with the results, that's great. I still have my original concerns about metering accuracy and focus accuracy though. I didn't check, but do you know if the top of the Aria screen is pressed down by foam (or something of that like)? If so, then certainly the screen could be slightly thicker and would be accommodated correctly. A thinner screen could be accommodated by adding some material above it. Of course, the goal is to get the new screen coplanar with the plane of focus of the original screen.

Regards,

Austin

Perhaps the difference is in contrast and not actual brightness. This would make focusing easier without impacting EV.

I find the Aria screen to be quite bright and I find the rangefinder patch/circle useful. Contax does have other screens for the Aria, including a plain matte (the FU-5, I believe). But if more brightness is needed, surely Beatty Intenscreen makes one for the Aria. I have used Intenscreen replacement screens on several cameras that had less-than-bright originals and found the Beattys to make a solid improvement. I have one for my Canon EOS RT, but it is hard to tell whether it is actually any brighter than the Canon one.

Concerning the Contax Aria viewfinder and focussing screen, interested parties may like to view the following web page:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/viewfinders.shtml

I quote "Now take a look for a moment at the comparative specs for the two Contaxes, the RTSIII and Aria. Contax gives its users the best of both worlds: those who want 100% coverage can choose the RTSIII. With the Aria, which, like most Contaxes, has a particularly excellent viewfinder, the coverage goes down slightly to 95% (still very good), but the magnification goes up, to .82X. This, plus the Aria's excellent "focusing snap," makes manual focusing easy. Combined with the Aria's outstanding eye relief (more than one inch, better than both the Nikon F5 and Canon EOS-1V!), it makes for a very good viewfinder indeed".

Rob Devenish

Robert's post is on target; IMHO the Aria viewfinder is very well done and easy to use. The in-focus "pop" when using the 85/1.4 is quite dramatic to my eye. In addition, the FU-6 screen has proven very handy for when I don't want the split finder or I need horizon help.

Because everyone's eye differs it's common that what's satisfactory to me won't be so to the next person. I even still like the viewfinder in my RTS I, which was dazzling compared to the competition in its day.

--Rick

You think the Aria vf is better than the RTS 1? Also, I was thinking about a 167MT. What is that finder like?

-Dana

Does anyone know what the coverage of each Contax viewfinder is? I can't fin it on Dirk's excellent Excel table. It may have been posted in the forum before, but I cannot find it.

Juan

Back