DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

SIGMA's Garish Red Problem ...

Hi all,
.......most SIGMA users already know, that pictures that contain large-scale and bright garish red picture elements often cause severe problems........

See you with nice pictures

Klaus

I don't konw german then i download today ARCSOFT PHOTOSTUDIO DARKROOM (the same of your software but in english), because i've the same problem on develop saturated red channel on SPP and LIGHTROOM 2, but i don't find anything for view full red channel of my X3F than a normal control of RGB. If you are so gentle to tell me how do you do, because i think to change my SD14 with a SD9 or SD10 for this problem.
I'm waiting for your response.
regards

For all the practitioners that are having problems with red or other colors ( There is a lot of people that say that SD14 have a Green cast!!)

Without much ado or techno-blabla.

This is very easy to do in Lightroom 2, you just have to open the color panel by clicking on the triangle .

I did not have the original X3F file but you can still do it with JPG

Here is the first image :
View attachment 894

And then the same image color corrected by reducing LUMINANCE , not Saturation:

View attachment 893

If you are having this problem repeatidly then in Lightroom preferences select "By Camera serial number ":

View attachment 897

And create a PERMANENT CAMERA CORRECTION PROFILE by inserting here ,
the same value that you obtained when you reduced the Luminance as I showed you in my image #2 .

This is known as calibrating your Post Processing for your camera .

View attachment 898

Sigma cameras do have deficient manufacturing quality control , but modern software has provisions to account for those color deviations.

Luis

Attachments

• corrected.jpg
    EXIF
    corrected.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 14
  • overly-default.jpg
    EXIF
    overly-default.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 10
  • preferences.jpg
    EXIF
    preferences.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 10
  • calibration.jpg
    EXIF
    calibration.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 8
Thanks Luis!

A very busy and helpful cuntribution! :)

Concerning SIGMA's quality-control I was very lucky. I have two SD14 bodies (one owned by my wife): Both of them are best quality and produce absolutely comparable image results. No instable electronic, absolutely no green-cast, perfect AF-performance.

I also have always been lucky with my lenses. No problems so far.

Well, I am not going to say that there are no problems.... I simply think that most of cams work fairly well. :)

If there are complaints, at least SIGMA-Germany has very good reputation to solve such problems fast and generously.

Klaus

Thanks, Luis! I assume this is comparable to ACR's luminance control?

Sincerely, Jim R

Hi Jim,

I think so, too! ACR and Lightroom use the same image processing. I like ACR more because of its easier workflow towards PS. :) It is purely a matter of taste ... no question of different image results.

My overall favourite converter remains SPP! Just a few problematic RAWs better go with either RAW-Photo-Studio, Lightroom or ACR. The few peoblematic red-channel-overflow-RAWs (what a word :D!) require such measures!

Klaus

Thanks Luis!

A very busy and helpful cuntribution! :)

Concerning SIGMA's quality-control I was very lucky. I have two SD14 bodies (one owned by my wife): Both of them are best quality and produce absolutely comparable image results. No instable electronic, absolutely no green-cast, perfect AF-performance.

I also have always been lucky with my lenses. No problems so far.

Well, I am not going to say that there are no problems.... I simply think that most of cams work fairly well. :)

If there are complaints, at least SIGMA-Germany has very good reputation to solve such problems fast and generously.

Klaus
Thanks, Luis! I assume this is comparable to ACR's luminance control?

Sincerely, Jim R

Hi Klaus . Hi Jim . Yes ACR is very similar , and possibly better, lets see:
Here is ACR Individual color controls at the Mid Tones

View attachment 900

Color Balance is done around the Mid Tone point in the Gamma Curve R128,G128,B128 by raising or lowering the individual channel Gamma Curves until they coincide at the Binary value 128 , the Mid Tone point . This works quite well but digital sensors are known to produce slightly different curves per channel so although Color Balance will most of the time be Neutral at the Mid Tones it can have Dominant colors in the Highlights , Shadows or both.

Adobe lightroom is limited to correcting at the Midpoint , but Adobe Camera RAW (ACR) has the same controls for the Midtones PLUS AN ADDITIONAL COLOR BALANCE FOR HIGHLIGHTS AND SHADOWS.

PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGES TO SEE THEM AT LARGER SIZE

View attachment 901

ACR Color Calibration is also very similar
View attachment 902

In case you are wondering about that image being processed that is RED , but does not have problems , here it is:
View attachment 904

And if you would like to see it larger follow this link:
http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=8079820&size=lg

And , like Klaus, I have never owned a Sigma camera that gave me any problems.

Luis

Attachments

• ACR colors.jpg
    EXIF
    ACR colors.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Balance.jpg
    EXIF
    Balance.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Calibrate.jpg
    EXIF
    Calibrate.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Red flower.jpg
    EXIF
    Red flower.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 8
Well, up to a few months ago, I also had 100% success with Sigma quality. :)

However, that came to an end when I destroyed my SD14 and 10 - 20mm lens on rocks. Replacement lens was fine but new SD14 is rather disappointing. Not in exposure, mind you, for there it is like the previous. But it hangs (locks up) intermittently and the only frustrating way to fix it is to remove battery and re-insert it after 10s or so. Grrr.

Australian distributor has no repair facility so it would have to be sent to Japan, meaning long turnaround.

My broken SD14 was sent to Japan. The symptoms were: after switch on, the cam would just continually hunt through "boot-up" sequence but not complete it and just repeat the cycle over and over. It was returned to me after a period of 2 months, un-repaired. Grrr #2

So there it sits, in my equipment drawer, with just a couple of small scratches on the body. Grrr #3

I guess I will wait for SD15.

Sincere regards, Jim R

Well, up to a few months ago, I also had 100% success with Sigma quality. :)

However, that came to an end when I destroyed my SD14 and 10 - 20mm lens on rocks. Replacement lens was fine but new SD14 is rather disappointing. Not in exposure, mind you, for there it is like the previous. But it hangs (locks up) intermittently and the only frustrating way to fix it is to remove battery and re-insert it after 10s or so. Grrr.

Australian distributor has no repair facility so it would have to be sent to Japan, meaning long turnaround.

My broken SD14 was sent to Japan. The symptoms were: after switch on, the cam would just continually hunt through "boot-up" sequence but not complete it and just repeat the cycle over and over. It was returned to me after a period of 2 months, un-repaired. Grrr #2

So there it sits, in my equipment drawer, with just a couple of small scratches on the body. Grrr #3

I guess I will wait for SD15.

Sincere regards, Jim R

Dear Jim . There was a Firmware update that was known to produce those lockups. I dont know what version was when they started but I do know that cameras with versions 1.5 or earlier do not lock up. Check it out.

Luis

Dear Jim . There was a Firmware update that was known to produce those lockups. I dont know what version was when they started but I do know that cameras with versions 1.5 or earlier do not lock up. Check it out.

Luis

Hi All,

Firmware 1.06 was said to make the SD14 instable. In addition it was said to crash down the SD14 during the update-process. Therefore it was quickly withdrawn from download and replaced by 1.07.

Whren I used 1.06, I neither had both of the above mentioned problems.

Am I a soldier of fortune?! :z04_yes:

A firmware-downgrade is possible .... but I would hesitate!! Earlier versions than 1.07 do not allow for long time exposures longer than 30s.... a nice feature!

Klaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUIS A GUEVARA

Luis
Hi All,

Firmware 1.06 was said to make the SD14 instable. In addition it was said to crash down the SD14 during the update-process. Therefore it was quickly withdrawn from download and replaced by 1.07.

Whren I used 1.06, I neither had both of the above mentioned problems.

Am I a soldier of fortune?!

A firmware-downgrade is possible .... but I would hesitate!! Earlier versions than 1.07 do not allow for long time exposures longer than 30s.... a nice feature!

Klaus

Right . Nice that you caught my typo. I meant "earlier than 1.05" .Luis

Back