DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Today with your Pentax

Where are those Nikon shots?
OK. Getting back to color here, for the moment at least...

Confusion
23_0831_NZ5_0400.jpg
  • NIKON CORPORATION - NIKON Z 5
  • NIKKOR Z 40mm f/2
  • 40.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/160 sec
  • Center-Weighted Average
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 200

Down the path from the Confused tree is another of interest, one quite at home with Left Leaning California. (haha, joke, don't shoot)

Tree Leaning Left... in the Golden (dry grass) State
23_0831_NZ5_0410.jpg
  • NIKON CORPORATION - NIKON Z 5
  • NIKKOR Z 40mm f/2
  • 40.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/200 sec
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 200

Down the path from the Confused tree is another of interest, one quite at home with Left Leaning California. (haha, joke, don't shoot)

Tree Leaning Left... in the Golden (dry grass) State
View attachment 12282
Even mirrorless are welcome to put something extra here. That tree has great potential or a similar tree.

Regards Dino26323

Shot these today so thought I would revive Jason's thread again. K5 and samyang excellent 85mm F1.4 mostly shot wide open in order to test it for my own knowledge. The images looked slightly soft on the back LCD K5 near infinity but the images are more than fine on the pc laptop. Colours can be well different with the Samyang lenses but I cannot say I noticed much different today. These things are impossible to confirm without doing a real side by side test. I also had the 60 to 250mm with me in case I saw deer. I did actually see a small deer on the rail tracks but the camera was not pointing onto her. By the time I moved the camera then she was gone. Great pity. Anyhow, here are some shots from today.

IMGP2382-1 copy.jpg
  • PENTAX - PENTAX K-5 II s
  • K or M Lens
  • 1/500 sec
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 100

IMGP2437-1 copy.jpg
  • A Series Lens
  • 1/6 sec
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 80

IMGP2454-1 copy.jpg
  • A Series Lens
  • 8 sec
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 80

Regards Dino26323

Here is a tragic fallen bird captured with the monochrome sensor. I was very very interested in this exercise because feathers are poorly rendered in digital age.
The combination of the 20 to 40mm lens and mono sensor has indeed captured immense subtlety. Many photographers likely hate the result because they are so used to seeing sharp crackle lines representing feathers. I was just at the photography show In Birmingham last weekend. I found a print that I actually liked for the print quality and gladly managed to find it again after much hunting. I told the guy that his print was the best print quality in the whole of the show having seen hundreds of prints. " That one was taken on film " was his reply. I guess I am old fashioned. There is more though to this story. About 5 yrs ago I did the exact same thing. I pointed to a picture up in the air at the show and said it was the best print quality in the whole of the shpw. Again it was film. Twice I have done it.

Hope this web site looks good on these files. Mono files can be problematic. The algorithms used on photo viewers does not always work. The image quality is beyond what the viewers are designed for. Banding can appear on microsoft photo viewer but 100 % works fine in my experience.

IMGP1607-1.jpg
  • RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. - PENTAX K-3 Mark III Monochrome
  • HD PENTAX-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 Limited
  • 30.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 3 sec
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 200

IMGP1610-1.jpg
  • RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. - PENTAX K-3 Mark III Monochrome
  • HD PENTAX-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 Limited
  • 30.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 10 sec
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 200

Regards Dino26323

Feel bad for the bird, but these are interesting images. Don't see many B&W wildlife images. Far fewer with a Monochrome camera. Fascinating captures.
Thanks for sharing,
barondla

Feel bad for the bird, but these are interesting images. Don't see many B&W wildlife images. Far fewer with a Monochrome camera. Fascinating captures.
Thanks for sharing,
barondla
I had already planned to capture bird feathers with this camera so when I saw this fallen tragedy I knew I had to take it. I am happy with the results regards image rendition of feathers. It is very unusual to have such an opportunity this easy with a bird regards capturing feathers as best as possible.
The bird was indeed gone the next day. I should have popped back for K10D camera with macro for more unusual shots to post of the bird. You have to realize it was a very unusual thing to see so I should have shot even more with another lens !!!

Thanks for looking either way. Even I would not say wildlife is a good subject for the mono camera. Wildlife 99.9% needs colour. There are exceptions sometimes and this may have been one but I wish I had gone back for the macro lens also because I am not going to see that again anytime soon.

Regards Dino26323

Today with my Pentax. ( actually two of them ). Pretty local less than 7 miles away.

IMGP1601-2.jpg
  • RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. - PENTAX K-1
  • HD PENTAX-D FA* 85mm F1.4 ED SDM AW
  • 85.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.4
  • 1/60 sec
  • Auto bracket
  • ISO 100

IMGP1601-3.jpg
  • RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. - PENTAX K-1
  • HD PENTAX-D FA* 85mm F1.4 ED SDM AW