DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Today with your Pentax

Nice pastoral scene except for those electrical lines right where the land meets the sky. This has bothered me since my first rolls of Ektachrome.

I always get rid of them -- sometimes by spot removal, sometimes by cloning, usually with a lot of time and effort. I've yet to find editing software that has a dedicated "scratch" or "power lines" removal tool. Maybe Photoshop? Anybody know or have good experience with lines removal?

Rainbow Lorikeet & Bee (K-3iii with Sigma 50-500 DG OS HSM - using internal x1.3 crop mode):

IMGP7369.JPG
  • RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. - PENTAX K-3 Mark III
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/1000 sec
  • Center-Weighted Average
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 400

I like both of these Jason. The sunflower thru the fence would go into my "Fence" collection for sure.
Don't know why I like the daisies, it's such a simple shot, but I do like it. Just because...

And, keeping in character, on your Flickr site, I like Door 24 in color better than the mono version.
(Don't hit me Dino, I just like color better in most cases). Except for gritty street photography maybe...

I like both of these Jason. The sunflower thru the fence would go into my "Fence" collection for sure.
Don't know why I like the daisies, it's such a simple shot, but I do like it. Just because...

And, keeping in character, on your Flickr site, I like Door 24 in color better than the mono version.
(Don't hit me Dino, I just like color better in most cases). Except for gritty street photography maybe...

A lot of shots actually work well both ways and it is hell trying to decide whether the colour is better after all. I revisit shots due to this and often process both ways. They are never the same though. The black and white tells you something different but often it may not always be better conclusively even though I love black and white. Very Often i prefer a sky works better ( in my opinion that is ) in black and white.
When you are showing other people photos you kind of have to be careful because chances are 90% perhaps they prefer the colour versions. I actually have quite a lot of prints in colour because they are better printed colour than in black and white at the labs I have used. Granted if you use a very expensive lab then this may be remedied to a degree. One of my favourite shots I have taken I deliberately had it printed in my cheap lab and also at an expensive lab that is supposed to be like a film look ILFORD LAB if i remember right. The prints are very very similar actually. I have seen some good black and whites digitally though so it can be done. Ideally you need a black and white printer perhaps for a start off and print them yourself. The HP ones seem to do a good job I have seen at a photo show and once you use those lovely paper finishes then it gets closer to what I am after.
Black and whites look great on screen of laptop so it is I love black and whites quite a lot or it is a tie with colour.

Regards Dino26323

Back