DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Which Contax System suits best to your needs

Jack Su,

From your messages here, I am assuming you're the j.su in the other website - using the NX with the 24-85mm. If you don't mind, please open up a thread like 'NX with 24-85mm' in this forum. I have received several emails asking about the NX (so far, I have told them about the NX with the 28-80 and 70-200). I have asked them to go to this website to check out reviews and lenses as well. I think it would be of great help if you could provide info about the NX with the 24-85mm.

Thanks...

Brian:

you are aboslutely right about the AF-S ED Nikons - those are obviously outstanding lenses. However, Nikon(or Canon or any other company) does not make a high-quality 24-85 zoom. This lens is so useful for traveling (more so than 17-35 in my view) that I went for Contax and sold my Nikon gear. I now also have the 70-200 N AF - another outstanding zoom which is at least as good as the much more expensive and heavy Nikon 80-200 AF-S (although without the f2.8 of course).

If you like 17-35 though, I would never go with Contax. The Nikon is reputedly fantastic and cheaper and better than the ridiculously overpriced F2.8 N 17-35 from Contax. Sometimes the wisdom of Contax marketing goes waayyy over my head.

As a long time Contax user, currently with G2 and lenses, I am looking to aquire a reflex and zoom as well since not all tasks can be undertaken with the G2 - excellent though it is.
At the risk of being heretical, I am considering a Minolta Dynax 5 with 24 to 105 lens.I wondered if anyone has any experience of these and whether I would be sorely disappointed after my Zeiss lenses.The cost is so reasonable compared to Contax. It would be a big step to move away but I would not be parting with my G2.
I also wondered why the Aria body which I am also considering, is so much more expensive than say the Dynax 5 or Nikon equivalents - which are also more highly specified.

Sorry to disappoint you, but although minolta makes some decent bodies, the company seems to be going nowhere. the lenses are a disappointment compared to nikon and canon primes, not even talking about zeiss. yes, the price is attractive, but be prepared to face a non-existant service if you ever need one. and with lens quality i would not even consider the switch. my opinion, totally biased as usually :)

cheers

veniamin kostitsin http://www.digitalimage.at/

> Hi,

actually I'm not sure why the Aria is so expensive, but it's a nice camera.

If you however want something cheaper I strongly recommend taking a very close look at Pentax. They make some pretty decent zooms which are according to a german Photo-Magazine way better than Minolta, even better than the low-cost Nicon/Canon stuff. And as they are not so mainstream they stay affordable.

And I like the bodys more than the ones of Canon or Minolta. Only Nikon IMHO is comparable.

Mike

Thanks. I have a friend who has recently bought a Pentax. I'm not sure which model or lenses but I'll be seeing him soon and I'll discuss it with him and look at his results.
Cheers,
John

Dynax 5 can be said the best entry level camera.. It has most of pro features ,but little small for the average hand. I love its wireless remote flash and seven-senser, high speed autofocus system with leds on the viewfinder screen. Also the 1/125-sec x-syn speed can sync to 1/4000. One of the features I must mention is the simplified pushbutton back opening, autolocking to prevent accidental film fogging. I would prefer the Dynax 7 which even easier to use and handle. The dynax the dynax 7 which is very comfortable to hold and better constructed. I have the 24-85 lense which is very good. The reviews said the 24-105D is as good as the 24-85. I compared with my old Cannon 28-80L(2.8-4.0), they are about the same. The best Minolta zoom lens is the 28-70G 2.8. It is the best zoom lense I have ever used. It is better than my Cannon 28-80L(2.8-4) and even better than my recent 28-70N Contax. The Dynax 5 auto focus is much, much faster than my G1 and the N1. The Dynax7 is the fastest auto focus camera of any brand when use with the Mimolta 50(1.4). By the way Minolta will have the usm-like lenses( I think they call SSM-motor)next year which for sure will make focus even faster ,espcially for their zoom lenses. I switched from Canon to Minolta fours ago. I don't have any complaints about their lenses. In short, outer simplicity is one of the main reason I use Minolta.

Wai Lee,

can you say something about the results of your Minolta lenses compared to the G primes? While saying it is the best, do you own the 2.8 28-70?

Thanks Wai Lee. That's a very helpful answer and is certainly encouraging towards Minolta. I still cannot decide yet but I shall see if the camera shop will allow me to put a film through one in the shop.
John

Back