DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Which Contax System suits best to your needs

Hi! In the past I have been the proud owner of the Contax RX, the RSIII, and the AX.
As a result of a very serious illness,I sold all of my gear, and have since had Canon which I again sold, only a few weeks ago, and am now in possesion of an N1 with the 24-85mm, and the 70 - 300mm Lenses, I think you will agree, quite an expensive bit of equipment.
However in the past I was reasonable successful with the manual focusing bodies, but didn't care very much for the focusing of the AX.
All of the lenses I used were primary ones including 28,35,50,85,135,and the 100mm Macro, and I think all of them were f2.8 if my memory serves me right.
My Question to you folks! Am I better off now sticking with the auto focus N1 which very often, requires me to fine tune the focusing, or reverting to a Manual system, which at the end of the day,will no doubt provide me with more prime lenses, including a Macro, for a similar outlay.
I think this site is fantastic for this type of discussion, and this is why I submit my question.
Finally I am retired, at 74 years young, all the time in the world to go manual, but at the same time I have thoughts about the future, and the possibilty of a cheaper DIGITAL System.
Your observations, and advice please, do I stick or twist as the pontoon player said, I think by virtue of this site, I have all to gain, and nothing to loose.
Kind Regards. Ken Taylor.

Hu Ken,

first I would advise you to send your N1 to Contax. They will check the AF for you. Very often the AF is not exactly calibrated. They will fix that normally for free.

Second, the primes with the old C/Y mount for manual focus are often an old design. sometimes from the seventies. Hence to improvements in optical design in the last 20 years, the new N-lenses often beat them.

Third, we do not know yet whether the C/Y line will be continued. There will be a new RX at the photokina but I do not see at the moment any new lenses for this system in the pipeline. Just announcements of discontinauation like the 25 or 35-70.

Fourth, wait and see the photokina. If the new digital TVS will be good (5MB) it could replace your SLR system, depending on your personal needs.

In the next 6-8 months there will be no new N-fixed focal lenght lenses. So if you do not want to use zooms, you will only have the 50/1.4 the 85/1.4, the 100/2.8 Makro and the 400/4.0 as FFL. Additionally of course the 645 lenses which are compatible via the adapter with the N1/Nx. BUT the N-zooms are really good. See also the other threads for this.

There will be a second N-Digital in the future, but nobody knows when exactly. I do not believe that we will see this still in 2002.

dirk

dear AM Michaela and Dirk:

preliminarily, my apologies for the poor scans. the local commercially-prepared scans to CD are not up to par. as an avid amateur, my better half may not be cool about my purchasing a coolscan. if i do, i certainly will re-post.

i really enjoy the nx as a backup body to the n1. in fact, i have been using the nx almost fulltime. my biggest complaint thus far (as in the tradition of the n digital) is battery consumption. as you know, long exposures really kill the puny cr2s.

i don't mind the large size of the zoom as i really like to travel light (no primes for this type of shoot) and that 24 mm perspective is great.

i was quite lucky on the lights flaring out as i generally used aperature-priority. sometimes, i would use "bulb" at a few seconds less than 32 seconds in order to experiment. it has been years since i used a tripod (the reason i purchased a new manfrotto is that i couldn't find my old slik). and i will have to say, the best thing you can do to improve images is to lose the flash, get slower film and lug the tripod around.

the only downside is that the tourists think you are prof'l and they ask you to take their snapshots. at that point you have to secure your equipment first, or else, politely say "no."

jhs

Hi! Dirk. Many thanks for your reply,I will see my dealer regarding the focusing on the N1,and wait for further developments, relating to new models, maybe Digital who knows. Thanks once again.
Cheers. Ken Taylor.

Jack,

"the only downside is that the tourists think you are prof'l and they ask you to take their snapshots"

That is ABSOLUTELY TRUE! So secure your equipment first.

As for the batteries, I have yet to try the Varta CR2- I bought 1 box for about $60. I'll see if it's any better than the Sanyo CR2.

Hi,
I started photography not long ago, now I have several C/Y lenses, all primes. I bought used TRS and RTS2. The results are amazing. Now I'm think of buying a TRS3. But I don't know how good will be the digital photo in the near future and how long does it take for digital to beat film. In other words, how long can I expect to stay with film until digital catch up with superior photo
quality. If this process takes another 10 years, I
certainly need a RTS3 (I expect my used RTS2 will last only for 3-5 years). Otherwise I'll save the money and wait for a good digi-cam (also contax with CZ lens).
I've never used a digital camera before.
Could any one here give me some advise?
Thanks a lot in advance!
george

Hi George,
Film is lovely, it doesn't suddenly disappear and it doesn't take up much space. Digital cameras have a lot of distractions in the picture taking process and will probably require you to change your way of working. If you are happy with that, OK, if not I would buy a dedicated film scanner and learn the art of quality scanning and using photoshop. Then you have the best of both worlds and by learning photoshop you will have another string in your bow! Buy a good quality digital point and shoot and use that for fun.
Hope that's of help, just my personal feeling we're all different.
Phil.

HELP.HELP. HELP

Please can anyone advise me (further) on three areas:

I have a choice of 2nd cameras; the RX and ST. The ST is slightly more expensive - only slightly!

1. Which is the 'better' camera, the RX or ST? Is the metering system on the RX newer and superior...will I get better results with the RX? Or perhaps the ST is fewer functions/ higher quality?
2. How do I tell the difference between an AE 50mm lens and a MM 50mm lens? Is there some green writing on the MM? Do both the RX and ST need an MM lens to access all functions?

FINALLY, 3. Would I get just as good results with a 167MT and a Zeiss 50mm lens? (Does the 167 need a MM lens to access all functions?)

Answers within 18 hours appreciated; I must make my mind up tomorrow.

Many thanks

Michael

Hi Michael,

please post you question in the appropriate thread so others can find it easier and respond to it. In your case this is the RX and ST thread. The AE an MM lens question is already discussed in the specific thread for it. Please read that first.

dirk

Back